A registered agent in Georgia, also referred to as a resident agent, acts on behalf of another organization (business or individual) and receives legal documents on their behalf.
The purpose of this responsibility is to keep the entity informed about any critical legal actions taken against them and ensure that they can be contacted in case.
The 5 Best Registered Agent Services In Georgia – Reviewed and Ranked
1. Northwest Registered Agent – Georgia Registered Agent
Northwest Registered Agent, also known as Northwest Office Service, is a Georgia registered agent service founded to make writing your business with all states in America affordable and straightforward. They have more than 70 years of industry experience to back up their claims.
- All documents are received in person or electronically on behalf of your company for free.
- They offer a registered agent address in Atlanta, Georgia, which you can use for official purposes with no additional fees. This way, you don’t have to go through the hassle of setting up a new registered office.
- Other benefits include unlimited transactions every month without any penalties and access to live support at any time (yes, even weekends and holidays). This is very important because most companies only run regular business hours.
- If you need to contact them after hours or on weekends, Northwest Registered Agent is the only service in Georgia to answer your phone calls and emails.
- Offers a professional registered office address for your business at no extra charge
- Unlimited service every month, no hidden fees and penalties
- Located in Atlanta, which provides excellent customer support 24/7
- Very affordable and competitive prices
- Cannot register your limited liability company (LLC) in Georgia online
- Not available for limited liability companies
2. Harbor Compliance – 7.92/10 (Best Budget Registered Agent)
Harbor Compliance is a Georgia registered agent service specializing in providing compliant and complete legal representation for businesses. They have a team of professionals with an average of more than 20 years of experience at their disposal.
- Harbor Compliance ensures security by signing all documents on behalf of your business, meaning only the two companies mentioned in the contract will ever be involved.
- Every document is delivered electronically, and they offer detailed tracking, which is available to view 24/7 (even weekends and holidays). This makes it possible for you to stay informed about any legal actions taken against your business without having to contact them or wait until Monday morning when somebody returns from their weekend break.
- The only downside with this company is that they don’t provide a physical address in Atlanta as most Georgia-registered agents do. This means you cannot provide a business address for official purposes and receive documents simultaneously.
- Offers professional and complete representation
- Excellent customer support and reliable registered agent service
- Remain compliant without spending too much money
- The price-quality ratio is perfect
- Cannot register your LLC in Georgia online
- No physical address for official purposes like PO boxes (only a mailing address).
3. LegalZoom – 6.59/10
LegalZoom is the first site that pops up in your search engine when you want to start a business. They have been providing legal assistance for more than ten years and are one of the most reliable sources for beginning any kind of business.
The company belongs to LegalZoom Enterprises Inc., which is why they also offer LLCs. However, suppose you wish to register your LLC with the Georgia Secretary of State (SOS). In that case, you must use another service such as Northwest Registered Agent or Harbor Compliance since they only provide registered agent services.
- Professional and affordable prices at various subscription levels
- Start a business without hiring expensive lawyers
- A wide range of services, including LLCs both online and offline
- An online portal for an easier way to order documents and track your business status
- The service is not limited to Georgia entrepreneurs only – you must hire a local agent in the state where your business will operate (LLC or Corporation)
- As with most services, there are extra fees for removing the registered agent’s name, amongst other things
- They only provide limited liability companies
4. ZenBusiness- 6.15/10 (Best for Small Businesses)
ZenBusiness is an affordable and reliable LLC service that understands the importance of staying connected with your clients even if you are not in the office. This is why their customer support service operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, which makes it possible to interact through phone calls, emails, or live chat sessions when needed (including weekends and holidays).
A great thing about this company is that they offer discounts on your first month’s bill so you can try their services risk-free.
- Competitive prices starting at $20 per month
- They guarantee weekly updates on all legal actions taken against your business or its legal entity documents
- The owner is very experienced in the business world and offers excellent advice along with legal assistance
- The service includes registered agent services in Atlanta, GA, which you can keep up to $249 per year
- They only provide limited liability companies (LLC)
- There are no extra features offered at their price point
5. IncFile Review- 5.83/10
It is a well-known fact that the founders of this website made a fortune selling legal documents for entrepreneurs and small businesses over the internet. However, since they have become so successful with this venture, it isn’t easy to find out whether their services are as good as selling legal forms online without hiring an expensive lawyer
- They provide all necessary LLC incorporation documents at affordable prices
- The website has a modern design and quick navigation, which makes ordering fast and easy
- The founders have been in the business sector for many years and have a good reputation
- You can order your documents online very quickly
- They are not a registered agent – only provide the necessary documents required to form your LLC in Georgia.
- The prices are pretty expensive compared to other alternatives on this list (it would be fair if more services were included)
- There is no live chat option for instant contact with one of their representatives when you need help.
What is a Georgia Registered Agent?
A registered agent acts as a middleman between you and the authorities so that your business is never without a legal representative. The state of Georgia requires all LLCs to have an agent registered in the state, which should be one of the following:
- A natural person who resides in Georgia
- An organization authorized by law to transact business or conduct affairs in Georgia
- Any foreign entity authorized by a court order appoints the Secretary of State as its agent for service of process under Ga Code Ann 7-5-18.
If you wish to hire Northwest Registered Agent LLC, they will provide such documents (for example) upon request.
What does it mean when you say “Georgia Legal Authority”?
When entrepreneurs decide to start a business in Georgia, they must register their legal name and physical street address with the state. If you choose to operate your business under a fictitious name (doing business as – DBA), this information will be required annually.
You can do that by completing and filing form INC 112 PT 2 (Application for Registration of Name) and pay the one-time $20 fee.
Why Should I Hire a Georgia Registered Agent?
When you hire an agent to represent your LLC in Georgia, it is important to understand what exactly does such service entail.
- A registered agent acts as a middleman between you and the authorities so that your business is never without a legal representative.
- The main duty of a registered agent in Georgia is to accept any important documents (such as summons or subpoenas) on behalf of your LLC.
- If they can’t be reached at the moment, then the state of Georgia will usually re-serve them after midnight
Are All Registered Agent Services in GA Equipped to Receive Legal Documents?
It is very important that you find an experienced agent whose main objective is to protect your business from legal actions. Although it may seem obvious, not all registered agents have access to a secure mailbox that cannot be accessed by unauthorized individuals so this information should be clarified beforehand.
In addition, some agents only provide limited liability companies (LLCs), while others offer services for almost every type of business entity allowed in Georgia. This means that you should choose an agent with the necessary experience
Is it Safe to Hire an Agent that is not Registered?
Have you ever heard of a registered agent that doesn’t have their own business address? If yes, then they’re probably breaking the law because they are supposed to communicate with entrepreneurs and small businesses on behalf of LLCs.
This means that if you hire someone like this, your business will always be without legal representation which can negatively affect your business interests. It is even more important now since many entrepreneurs prefer communicating over the internet
Why Is a Registered Agent Important?
Although most entrepreneurs are capable of representing their LLCs in Georgia, hiring an external agent is always more beneficial.
This is due to the fact that registered agent services have experience with all documents and they understand how notarization works.
Furthermore, there are many legal requirements that must be met when an LLC is first established, so you’re better off using someone else’s expertise
Is it Legal to Have a Single Registered Agent?
A single registered agent can represent multiple businesses if they go through the proper procedures (such as filing form INC 514).
However, this does not mean that entrepreneurs should choose such an option because having one person act on behalf of multiple businesses under the same name may create confusion amongst clients.
What to Look For in a Registered Agent?
The state of Georgia accepts only two types of registered agents: physical or legal. A physical agent has nothing to do with the internet, so they are actually required to operate in an office space.
However, a legal agent can use either online or offline options for his services, which is very convenient if you run your business remotely.
What Do Georgia Registered Agent Does?
The main objective of a registered agent is to protect their client’s business. This means that it will provide services similar to those offered by an executive assistant because they’ll need to communicate with the state of Georgia on your behalf.
The best part about hiring an agent in GA is that you can easily retain them for as long as needed without any legal implications. Also, a registered agens is usually assigned specific tasks, so you don’t have to worry about any additional fees
What are the Benefits of Using a Registered Agent?
Once you hire a registered agent, everything related to your business will be handled by them. You won’t have to take care of anything yourself because your agent will assume responsibility according to their contract.
Thus, entrepreneurs no longer have to worry about dealing with the state because their registered agent has a fixed address that is associated with their LLC.
In addition, they will notify you whenever an official document related to your business arrives at their office.
What Are the Legal Requirements?
- First, an agent must obtain a surety bond which is provided by an insurance company. Without this document, your business will be unprotected in case something bad happens with their office space.
- Second, they are required to own their own business space because they are the ones who have to receive any legal documents on behalf of your LLC.
- Third, they are responsible for notifying entrepreneurs about all changes related to the state’s laws.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Georgia?
Yes, you can become your own registered agent if you so desire. However, this should only be considered by entrepreneurs who don’t operate their businesses remotely because physical office space is needed for good legal representation.
Also, keep in mind that an entrepreneur needs to go through the same procedures as other agents before they can conduct business on behalf of your LLC
How to Become a Registered Agent?
As mentioned before, becoming a registered agent requires using specific procedures which include obtaining insurance and owning office space.
However, it’s not recommended to act as an agent for both corporations and LLCs at the same time because there could be confusion between clients regarding who represents what business.
If possible, entrepreneurs should register with multiple companies instead of representing all entities under one name.
Who Can Be a Registered Agent in Georgia?
- Any adult who is pronounced as being “competent” by the court can be appointed as a registered agent.
- Also, the person must not have been convicted of any crimes and they should technically be available during normal business hours.
- However, this does not mean that you need to hire an individual to represent your company because there are many other options such as virtual offices.
Keep in mind that if you decide to hire someone else on behalf of your company, your agent will need to go through all legal procedures once again.
How Do I Search For A Georgia Registered Agent?
Fortunately, finding a registered agent is very simple if you use the internet. There are many websites that provide information about companies that offer this type of service.
However, it’s recommended to conduct some research before hiring an agent because not all providers have the same standards. Thus, always assess the quality of service before signing any documents with your company
How Many Registered Agents Are There in Georgia?
At this point in time, there are over 4600 agents in Georgia and more than 1000 of them can be found online.
Also, you should keep in mind that most of them only handle one corporation so entrepreneurs need to find specific individuals for each business they own.
How Can I Contact A Registered Agent In GA?
It’s easy to contact a registered agent because entrepreneurs can do it directly from their website.
Also, you will receive a formal response from the agent very quickly because most of them have an “online chat” or similar services that allow customers to communicate with them rapidly.
Are There Other Options?
As mentioned before, online registered agents are not the only providers who can handle business-related tasks on behalf of your corporation.
Virtual offices and the power of attorneys are two other options that can help your business remain compliant in all circumstances.
Thus, always use a combination of these three tools if you want to make sure your company is legally protected in case something bad happens with their registered agent’s office space.
How Do I Change My Registered Agent In Georgia?
For legal reasons, entrepreneurs can’t change their registered agent themselves. Instead of making the process seem like a difficult task, most companies let entrepreneurs switch agents by interacting with them directly.
Also, keep in mind that you need to do it at least two months before your current registered agent expires since they might charge additional fees for processing documents late.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Georgia?
It doesn’t matter if you hire a registered agent before or after forming your corporation because this action has no effect on the success of your business.
However, entrepreneurs who decide to go with service providers such as virtual offices and the power of attorneys need to start looking for agents as early as possible because registration alone takes at least 3 weeks.
How Do I Check If A Registered Agent Is Legitimate?
Doing research online is always important when hiring someone to handle the legal side of your business. This also applies to registered agents because there are thousands of companies that can represent your company without having proper credentials.
Thus, make sure you check which type of insurance an individual has and whether they own their office space before signing any documents.
What the Georgia Secretary of State Says About Registered Agents:
Before hiring a registered agent, it’s always important to check the requirements of your state. For instance, you can find out if amended annual registration is mandatory or not and whether there are any limitations for business owners when registering corporations.
Also, remember that although agents can help businesses remain compliant in all regards, they don’t have the ability to give legal advice.
Thus, always read the user agreement before signing anything and ask questions if something doesn’t seem right.
How much does a registered agent service cost in Georgia?
Not all registered agents in Georgia charge the same amount because there are many factors that influence your price range.
For example, the age of your business matters a lot when it comes to prices while some other variables include additional services and whether you want 24/7 support or not.
Are there risks if you, a friend, or a family member are your LLC’s Registered Agent?
Even if you are the registered agent for your LLC, you are not legally responsible for anything related to being an entity. For instance, this type of responsibility falls on the shoulders of entrepreneurs who own their corporations.
Remember that agents can be guilty of serious charges when they sell fake insurance or create problems that affect other registered entities in any way.
What Is The Difference Between A Registered Agent And A Power Of Attorney?
There are many differences between registered agents and the power of attorneys but one of the most important aspects is time. While an agent can handle all types of responsibilities for your company (and only yours), a power of attorney will handle such tasks on behalf of several business entities at once.
Also, remember that the power of attorneys needs to be registered before they can work on your behalf.
What’s a commercial registered agent?
A commercial registered agent in Georgia is a person who can handle all types of tasks for your company. In this regard, they provide legal advice and make sure your business remains compliant with all state laws.
The main difference between a commercial registered agent and the rest of the service providers available to entrepreneurs is that they can receive lawsuits, process payments, and take care of other necessary paperwork when it comes to running small businesses.
What Is the Penalty for Not Designating a Registered Agent in Georgia?
All entrepreneurs who operate LLCs in any state need to designate a registered agent as soon as possible. If this doesn’t happen, your business can suffer from serious legal problems and even be shut down by the government.
What’s more, if you fail to name an individual or company as your official representative after 30 days of starting operations, then the Secretary of State will do it for you and charge fees that reflect such work.
If you want to remain safe and protect your business, always choose an experienced registered agent service in Georgia. The good news is that there are many companies that can assist with all types of tasks for entrepreneurs who operate corporations.
As long as you read the fine print before hiring any type of professional, make sure you check out their prices and ask questions whenever necessary, you’ll be able to select an appropriate agent without too much trouble.